UNITED NATIONS RELIEF AND WORKS AGENCY
FOR PALESTINE REFUGEES IN THE NEAR EAST
UNRWA is a United Nations agency established by the General Assembly in 1949 and is mandated to provide assistance and protection to a population of some 5 million registered Palestine refugees. Its mission is to help Palestine refugees in Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, West Bank and the Gaza Strip to achieve their full potential in human development, pending a just solution to their plight. UNRWA’s services encompass education, health care, relief and social services, camp infrastructure and improvement, microfinance and emergency assistance. UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions. For its local team, UNRWA is seeking to employ a qualified:
Area Maintenance Engineer for Irbid Area
& to establish roster for other areas
Vacancy Announcement Number JF/12/2017
Contract Status Fixed Term Appointment
Contract Duration 3 years including 1 year of probation
Monthly Salary JD 710.00 plus Special Occupational Allowance 60% from the basic salary. Other benefits include Provident Fund contribution (15% of basic salary paid by the Agency) and medical insurance. Dependency benefits are subject to eligibility.
Infrastructure and Camp Improvement Program
Duty Station Irbid Area
Issue Date 15 February 2017
Deadline for Applications 28 February 2017
Place in the Organisation:
The incumbent of this post reports administratively to the Chief Area Office & technically to the Field Maintenance Engineer.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
In accordance with established Agency policy and procedures, the incumbent:
· Coordinates and supervises the maintenance programme in the Area and reports on progress.
· Conducts comprehensive technical surveys of all Agency buildings, installations and infrastructure at least annually to determine maintenance requirements, priorities and quantities for maintenance contracts.
· Conducts periodic routine inspections of all Agency buildings, installations and infrastructure and takes necessary action in the case of essential maintenance requirements.
· Carries out contract administration duties as directed, including the preparation of bills of quantities, cost estimates for quantities and materials, specifications, interim and final payment certificates, etc.
· Responsible in coordination with the Field Maintenance Engineer for expenditure and cost control on all maintenance contracts in the Area.
· Provides technical support and supervision as necessary and as directed to other Agency programmes, including the maintenance and construction of roads and camp infrastructure, the repair and reconstruction of refugees shelters, self-help projects, etc.
· Prepares work plans and periodic progress reports for maintenance and other engineering works.
· Provides technical advice and support both in relation to applications by residents for construction permits and their implementation.
· Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
· University degree in Civil (or Structural) Engineering from a University or College recognized by UNRWA.
· Four years of relevant experience in field and office work.
· Good knowledge of English and Arabic.
· Possession of a valid driving license.
· Experience in site supervision.
· Ability to take initiative and produce sound professional judgment;
· Knowledge of local construction practice and materials used in Jordan;
· Ability to prioritize and evaluate works;
· Ability to work under pressure;
· Good communication (both written & verbal) skills.
When the minimum requirements are not fully met, the concerned Director may exceptionally substitute part of the unmet requirements with a combination of relevant academic qualifications, additional professional training and progressive relevant work experience.
NB: Work experience alone or formal qualifications with no relevant work experience are not considered an acceptable combination.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to register at http://jobs.unrwa.org by creating a personal profile and completing an UNRWA Personal History Form. Please note that UNRWA only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Only applications received through http://jobs.unrwa.org will be considered. Due to the large number of applications received, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted. Please ensure that the e-mail address that you will indicate in your Personal History Profile is accurate, candidates shortlisted for test or interview will only be contacted by e-mail. No follow up phone calls will be ma